Thursday , April 25 2024
Home / New Hampshire Marijuana News / Marijuana Is Decriminalized in New Hampshire, But Not at Universities

Marijuana Is Decriminalized in New Hampshire, But Not at Universities

MMJ

Marijuana decriminalization officially went into effect in New Hampshire earlier this month, on September 16. This step completes the process of decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana in all of the New England states. Marijuana is still illegal for recreational use in New Hampshire.

But universities in New Hampshire have still not changed their policies, including Plymouth State University (PSU), according to The Clock Online. Marijuana remains prohibited on university grounds. It is also prohibited inside residential halls.

Police Chief Steven Temperino said, “The University (PSU) is obligated to enforce drug laws, and we are doing that. We are often called for marijuana use in residential halls, and our policy is the same; we will continue to seize marijuana. If there are large volumes of marijuana, or if someone is selling marijuana, they will be subject to be arrested and prosecuted, because it is still a criminal offense. The same course of action will be in use for anyone who violates this policy. Any student caught with a small amount of marijuana will be given a citation. It’s similar to a parking ticket. You will either have to appear in court, or pay a monetary fine.”

Repeat offenders are likely to be put on probation by the university. Additional infractions could lead to suspension and habitual offenders may have higher consequences that exceed the University’s consequences.

Tobacco products and candles are prohibited inside residential halls at PSU, so marijuana should be treated no differently on campus.

Temperino also said, “Using any tobacco product inside the res halls will get you into a lot of trouble. First off, there is a health issue, not everyone enjoys inhaling cigarette and/or marijuana smoke, and there is a safety issue on having something lit. If students are caught smoking anything in the res halls, it could put their residential status in jeopardy.”

Most students share the consensus that they’re not surprised that marijuana remains prohibited from university grounds.